Discover three of Britain’s ancient monuments, built by our Stone Age ancestors. Long Meg and Her Daughters, is a stone circle ingrained with mystery and legend. The wonderful Mayburgh Henge will reveal the purpose behind these monuments. The final stop is the most breathtaking, Castlerigg Stone Circle. Exploring this ancient site, surveying the landscape which was once so important to our ancestors, is a visceral experience, one which you will remember forever.
What to expect
The tour starts at with one of the best and most iconic drives in Britain, according to The Independent. The road snakes up over the ‘North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty’. We will stop at The Hartside Pass to enjoy the view and for photo opportunities.
Down the hills into Cumbria we’ll visit the beautifully named, Long Meg and Her Daughters. The third biggest stone circle in Britain it is hard to convey the scale of this monument. We will give you some archaeological facts but also some of the legends, which are just as fascinating as the stones themselves.
Morning coffee can be taken at Little Selkeld Watermill, a quirky hidden gem.
Mayburgh Henge, is a very unassuming monument, discreetly nestled into the landscape so much so that most people would drive past without even realising it’s there. This wonderful site will reveal the purpose of these monuments and their importance to our Stone Age ancestors.
Dine in one of the local inns for lunch.
Our final stop is the most breathtaking, Castlerigg Stone Circle. This stunning monument is certainly one of the oldest stone circles in Britain, and possibly one of the first ever stone circles to be constructed. Exploring this ancient site, surveying the mountains and valleys surrounding you, which were once so vitally important to our ancestors, is a visceral experience, one which you will remember forever.
- Long Meg and Her Daugthers
- Mayburgh Henge
- Castlerigg Stone Circle
Full day guided tour
Group and family discount available
(approx. 7 hours)
- Complimentary transport available
- Site entry is included in this price
- Tours in English
- Start Location: We can collect you from your accommodation or can organise transport to collect you.
- Distance: The tour takes place inside of historic venues with good surfaces to walk on. We can drive the vehicle close to the venue for easier access, should you require. We can extend the length of the walk if you would like to do so. If so please see the Leisurely Walk description.
- Leisurely Walk: A walk for reasonably fit people with a little country walking experience, on rural paths. Walking boots and warm, waterproof clothing are recommended
- Times: The tour runs throughout the year. Start time is 10:00am and finish time is 5:00pm. Booking is essential
For more information ring the office on – 01434 688386 or email email@example.com
£95.00 per person